Monday, October 22, 2012

Wet Distressing with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

I've been wanting to paint a gold picture frame ever since I took part in an Annie Sloan Chalk Paint demo in July. So, when I spied this large, old frame at the antique store, I knew it would be perfect.


The cracks and scrolls are calling out to be distressed!


First, I gave it a coat of AS Paris Grey.


One of the techniques we used in the workshop was wet distressing. Once the paint is just dry, take a damp cloth and wipe off the paint. This removed the Paris Grey, but didn't scratch the gold underneath.

annie sloan wet distressing

annie sloan wet distressing

Then I took some Pure White and brushed that on. I didn't completely cover every surface. That's one of the things I love about AS paint....you don't have to be perfect.

annie sloan wet distressing

Then, some more wet distressing and distressing with fine sandpaper.

annie sloan wet distressing

 After that, it was a coat of AS dark wax. It made everything POP! And, once the wax was rubbed in and polished, to is buttery smooth.

annie sloan wet distressing

annie sloan wet distressing

It has the most perfect antique French look! To finish it off, I'll be adding some twine to the middle section. It will be a cute way to display jewelry or photos.




It has great depth and looks like there are so many layers...yet it was really a simple process!

annie sloan chalk paint



annie sloan wet distressing

Linking to:
The Girl CreativeDIY Show Off





11 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! Pinning it for reference. Found you from The Girl Creative's Features post!

    Kristy @ Shona Skye Creations
    http://shonaskye.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by (and the pin) Kristy!

    ~Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really quite beautiful. Thank you for sharing all the distressing tips and thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jesse! This finish is beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing instructions. I am a new blogger and have an Etsy shop too! It has been going well, just have a hard time completing enough inventory!! I am going to try your tecnique on an upcoming piece and I'll let you know how it goes. I'll follow you and if you get a chance to check out my site (www.tweakandstyle.com), maybe you could follow me?

    Best of luck with Etsy and blogging!!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. From all I have read and found on chalk painting, I was under the impression everything has to have a coat of clear wax before applying dark wax. Is it not necessary with this technique? The mirror is gorgeous. Thank you.... Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce: I believe they suggest a clear coat of wax, as the dark wax will stain the paint. That didn't matter to me in this case, so I just applied the dark wax.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow great looking frame. Will surely share this one with our readers at Paintbox Art & Framing

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is SO gorgeous!!!! exactly what i needed for my gold antique mirror! just bought some AS french linen today! i know what my next project will be. thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ty for clear, precise instructions 👌!! Definitely referring to it for help!

    ReplyDelete