Monday, March 10, 2014

Miss Mustard Seed's Color of the Month: French Enamel

I've had this large buffet since before we opened our doors. It was one of the first pieces I purchased, but in the rush of getting the shop ready, I didn't have time to give it a facelift. I also wasn't quite ready to commit to a color and look. We put it out anyway, with a "pick your color" tag.

Before

I knew it would be the perfect piece to host our milk & cookies bar for our grand opening...but, I wanted it to shine for our special day. Two days before the big day, I decided to just go for it. I chose French Enamel. I didn't do any prep work. No sanding. No dusting. Here she is after the first coat.


And here she is in all of her milk & cookies bar glory. It chipped up beautifully -- I was so happy. I finished it with a coat of MMS Furniture Wax. It's my go-to to finish a painted piece. The wax is like butter and makes even the chippiest of pieces so smooth.

Miss Mustard Seed's French Enamel

Milk & Cookie Bar
For the grand opening, I covered the top with burlap to protect the finish. I did strip the top. It had a weird finish/varnish on it. I used a soy gel stripper on the top. I know you can't tell in this photo, but it is absolutely gorgeous! I finished with a coat of MMS Hemp Oil (my fave to use on wood surfaces).

If you love this color as much as I do, stop in our shop at 1105 N. Second Street in St. Charles. We're offering 10% off French Enamel during the month of March.

Much thanks to Meldt Vintage Love for the cookies. They were a huge hit!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely - grand home decor indeed. And perfect for anything blue Friday. Thanks for a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Anything Blue Friday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2014/03/anything-blue-friday-week-51.html Happy Weekend to You! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete