Friday, January 23, 2015

Shop Updates and Bergere Preview

2015 is already shaping up to be a busy year. If you follow us on Facebook, you've seen that we are moving. Again.

Last year we took the plunge and opened our retail space on Feb. 1. While that location was doing well, we had the opportunity to rent space in a highly visited area/destination (Historic Main Street in St. Charles) and we went for it. What they say is true, location is everything! So, last week, we branched out even more to our own storefront. Here's a little peek:


With the new space, I'll have more room to paint...which I had really been missing. I immediately went to work on an Empire dresser. This dresser was a first for me in several different ways. It was my first Empire dresser. My first colour from the new European line from Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint. And my first time white washing wood with white wax.

And I'm in love with all three!

Empire Dresser in Bergere Milk Paint
For the most part, I tend to lean towards blues. So it was no surprise that Bergere was the first European colour I decided to try. It's more subdued than the other MMS blues. I think that makes it easier to mix in to color schemes and decor.


I decided to go for a chippy look as this piece was a bit beat up. The veneer on the top had been removed. The drawers and frame had some chips here and there. After the first coat, I had MAJOR chipping, so I added some bonding agent to the second coat. This gave me some really interesting texture and layers. Even more of an aged look.


When possible, I like to leave the top of my pieces unpainted. I sanded the top down with medium and fine grit sanding blocks and then applied Miss Mustard Seed's White Wax. What was left is a smooth white-washed driftwood look.



We carry the full line of MMS products in our shop (new location is 508 S. Main Street in St. Charles, MO) and online.

If you are in the STL area, we're having a first birthday party on Sat., Jan. 31 from 11-5 p.m. Here's the details. Hope to see you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment